From the University Archives: the Vanport Extension Center, 1946-48
The Vanport Extension Center, 1946-48
In 1946, the Oregon State System of Higher Education launched an extension program in Vanport. It was intended to run for a limited time, primarily to serve returning WWII veterans and their families. Its operations were cut short by flooding in 1948, but the Vanport Extension Center, immediately known as Vanport College to its faculty and students, later relocated to downtown Portland and grew into Portland State, now Oregon's largest university. This is the story of the Vanport years.