From the University Archives: the Vanport Extension Center, 1946-48
To stretch their limited financial resources, students banded together to form and operate a cooperative market. Each student contributed ten dollars to the effort. Items stocked at the co-op included books, school supplies, and groceries; to assist new parents, the store also carried diapers, baby food, and canned milk.
"The College Cooperative Association was organized during the fall quarter through the efforts of Bob Taylor, Don Lloyd and Dick Worthington. The co-op still operates under Bob's original plan of buying large quantities of groceries at reduced prices and selling them to students at cost.
"The organization is an accepted success. Students appreciate the lowered prices which stretch the subsistence check. They take advantage of the scarce items the co-op makes available. Bill McLeod is doing a very excellent job of managing the co-op." [From the 1946-47 Viking]